NHES and ELMI agency logos
New Hampshire Employment Security - an official New Hampshire Government web site
Smaller text size Reset text size Larger text size
link to website translation page

Log onto the NHUIS Benefit Payment System



View Related NHES Videos

When Do I File?

Each time you become unemployed or have your hours of work significantly reduced, you must file a new claim or reopen an existing claim. This can be done online or by visiting the nearest NH Employment Security office to file your claim on a computer in one of our Resource Centers. You must open your claim during the week your hours are reduced or, if you became unemployed from full-time work on Thursday or Friday, open your claim on Sunday or Monday. If you live in another State and your last employment was in New Hampshire, you may file your claim over the Internet.

What information do I need before I file?

  • Your Social Security Number
  • Address (mailing and home address)
  • Telephone Number
  • Email Address
  • Alien Registration Number (if you are not a U.S. citizen)
  • Amount of separation, holiday, sick, or retirement pay you received or will receive
  • Military Form DD-214, member 4 copy (if you were in the military in the past year)
  • Form SF-8 (if you worked for the Federal government in the past year)

Also, for each employer you worked for in the past 18 months, you need:

  • Complete name and address of each employer (including zip code)
  • Payroll address if different
  • Employer's telephone number (including area code)
  • Beginning and ending dates of employment (day, month and year)
  • Number of hours worked and pay rate if you worked this week (including Sunday)
  • Reason why you are no longer working for employer.

Filing a claim is a two step process. You must complete both steps to be potentially eligible for payment.

Step 1: Initial Claim

This is the first claim you file after becoming unemployed, your first claim in a Benefit Year. It is not a request for compensation, but it serves as a notice to the Department and your employer that you may claim benefits. You must register and file your initial claim application online. Your claim is effective the Sunday of the calendar week in which it is opened. To be timely to claim the week in which you last worked, you must file your initial claim within three business days of your last day worked. You must file no later than the last day of the first week for which you wish to file for benefits.

Step 2: Continued Claim

File your weekly claim online. This is the actual request for payment of benefits that is made each week. You must file your first continued claim between the first Sunday through Saturday period following the week you open your claim, and every week thereafter that you wish to file for benefits.

Translation Resources and Disclaimer

New Hampshire Employment Security (NHES)
45 South Fruit Street  |  Concord NH 03301  |  603-224-3311  |  1-800-852-3400
TDD Access: Relay NH 1-800-735-2964