NHES and ELMI agency logos
New Hampshire Employment Security - an official New Hampshire Government web site
Smaller text size Reset text size Larger text size
link to website translation page

For Temporary Employment of Foreign Workers in The United States

Program Overview

In order to issue an H-2B certification to an employer, the U.S. Department of Labor (Department) must determine that:

1. There are not sufficient U.S. workers who are qualified and who will be available to perform the temporary services or labor for which an employer desires to hire foreign workers; and
2. The employment of H-2B workers will not adversely affect the wages and working conditions of similarly employed U.S. workers.

To participate in the H-2B program, an applicant must:

  • Be an employer with a valid Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN);
  • Have a place of business (i.e., physical location) in the United States; and
  • Have a means by which it can be contacted for employment.

The employer's job opportunity (opportunities) must be:

• Temporary (i.e., nine months or less, except one-time occurrences);
• Full-time (i.e., 35 or more hours per week); and
• Non-agricultural employment within a specified area(s) of intended employment.

The H-2B temporary non-agricultural program permits employers who meet the program requirements to hire nonimmigrant workers to temporarily come to the U.S. and perform non-agricultural services or labor based on the employer's temporary need. The employer applicant must establish that its need for non-agricultural services or labor is temporary in nature, regardless of whether the underlying job is permanent or temporary.
Temporary need must be established as one of the following:

1. One-time occurrence;
2. Seasonal need;
3. Peakload need; or
4. Intermittent need.

With the exception of a one-time occurrence need which can last up to three years, temporary need will not be approved for longer than nine months.
The Immigration and Nationality Act and regulations issued jointly with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) establish employer requirements and worker protections with respect to wages and working conditions. The Department's Wage and Hour Division has responsibility for enforcing provisions of worker contracts and applicable employment laws.

For links to additional information, answers to frequently asked questions and complete details on processing labor certification requests under the H-2B Regulations, visit USDOL H-2B Labor Certification.


  • 20 CFR Part 655 Subpart A.


Translation Resources and Disclaimer

New Hampshire Employment Security (NHES)
45 South Fruit Street  |  Concord NH 03301  |  603-224-3311  |  1-800-852-3400
TDD Access: Relay NH 1-800-735-2964