NHES and ELMI agency logos
New Hampshire Employment Security - an official New Hampshire Government web site
Smaller text size Reset text size Larger text size
link to website translation page

ELMI Home > Products & Services

EB-5 Program - Targeted Employment Areas

EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) administers the Immigrant Investor Program, also known as “EB-5,” which was created by Congress in an effort to stimulate the U.S. economy through job creation and capital investment by foreign investors. All EB-5 investors must invest in a commercial enterprise, which creates or preserves at least 10 full-time jobs for qualifying U.S. workers within two years of the immigrant investor’s admission to the United States as a Conditional Permanent Resident.

The immigrant’s capital investment can be in the form of cash, equipment, inventory, other tangible property, cash equivalents and indebtedness secured by assets owned by the investor. In general, the minimum qualifying investment in the United States is $1 million. However, the minimum qualifying investment within a high-unemployment area or a rural area is $500,000. These are referred to as Targeted Employment Areas (TEA).

A Targeted Employment Area designated on the basis of high unemployment is a geographic area that, at the time of investment, is experiencing unemployment of at least 150 percent of the national average rate. New Hampshire Employment Security (NHES) has been authorized to designate TEAs on the basis of high unemployment. At the present time, the Economic and Labor Market Information Bureau (ELMI) of NHES performs the necessary research by request only, based on a list of locations provided by the potential investor. NHES does not currently conduct a statewide search or produce an annual list of designated areas.

Note: Due to the annual benchmarking process for Local Area Unemployment Statistics, on which TEA high unemployment designations are based, annual average unemployment estimates for substate areas (Counties, Labor Market Areas, Cities, Towns and Census Tracts) will not be finalized by the Bureau of Labor Statistics until April 21, 2015.

A Targeted Employment Area qualified based on the classification as a rural area is any area outside a metropolitan statistical area (as designated by the Office of Management and Budget) or outside the boundary of any city or town having a population of 20,000 or more according to the most recent decennial census. NHES is not authorized to designate a TEA on the basis of being a rural area. It is the responsibility of the investor applicant to provide USCIS with appropriate information related to population and metropolitan statistical area designations, however NHES may assist the applicant with the collection of these data.

Please contact the NHES Economic and Labor Market Information Bureau with any questions by telephone at (603) 228-4126, or by email at ELMI@nhes.nh.gov.

Additional information about the EB-5 program can be found on the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website at www.uscis.gov.


Translation Resources and Disclaimer

New Hampshire Employment Security (NHES)
45 South Fruit Street  |  Concord NH 03301  |  603-224-3311  |  1-800-852-3400
TDD Access: Relay NH 1-800-735-2964
webmaster@nhes.nh.gov for web page related issues only