NHES and ELMI agency logos
New Hampshire Employment Security - an official New Hampshire Government web site
Smaller text size Reset text size Larger text size
link to website translation page

Notice: US Department of Labor certifies more than 18,000 former Hostess workers around the country as eligible to apply for Trade Adjustment Assistance

The New Hampshire Department of Employment Security administers the Trade Act Assistance (TAA) programs. The TAA program is available to workers who lose their jobs or whose hours of work and wages are reduced as a result of increased foreign imports. If you are one of a group of workers who have been certified as eligible for Trade Act benefits, you may qualify for some or all of the types of assistance.

In these days of jobs lost to foreign trade it is important for employees of companies, caught in this situation, to be aware of the TAA program. TAA assists workers whose jobs are directly affected by foreign trade. If your company has applied for certification under this program. They may not know at the time of your lay-off if they have been certified or not, however, you will be kept aware of the situation.

If your company is certified under the Trade Act there will be announcements in the local newspapers and on the local radio stations. Your employer will be asked to provide the names of all employees who fall under the eligibility of the impact date provided by the Federal Government. If you are affected by the impact date, you will receive a letter from NH Employment Security asking you to attend an orientation. At the orientation you will be provided information about the benefits and services that may be available to you. You will also be asked to complete the paperwork necessary to document individual eligibility in the Trade Act program. It is important to attend an orientation to learn what is available, complete paperwork and decide if you wish to participate.

Training is an option, however, it is important to remember that training is the last option and all Federal Guidelines have to be met before training can be approved. It is important to remember that the Department of Employment Security representative can not take any individual Trade Act action until your company has been certified and you have been released from work. Once you are laid off, however, you should report to your local office to file for Unemployment Compensation benefits even if the company has not yet been Trade Act certified.

We appreciate your understanding that this is a Federal program, which requires significant documentation of individual qualifications, resources and requirements.

Informational Brochures and Links

Trade Act Petition - Establishing Eligibility

  • To apply for TAA, a petition must be filed with the Office of Trade Adjustment Assistance to establish group eligibility. TAA petitions may be filed by a group of three or more workers, their union, or a company official. Petitions should be addressed to:

    TAA Coordinator
    New Hampshire Employment Security
    45 South Fruit Street
    Concord, NH 03301

  • The petition and help completing the petition is also available from NH Employment Security Offices/NH WORKS One Stop. Filing a petition will trigger an immediate rapid response and basic adjustment services to workers. Rapid reemployment is the goal. The U.S. Department of Labor has 40 calendar days to complete its investigation and certify eligibility.
  • There are two types of eligibility for TAA benefits: group and individual eligibility. A different process applies to each:
    • Group eligibility The Department of Labor reviews a petition on behalf of a group of workers in a particular company. It decides whether they are eligible to apply for TAA benefits and programs.
    • Individual eligibility Your local NH Employment Security (NHES)/NH WORKS One-Stop office reviews an application from an individual worker whose group petition has already been certified. It determines which TAA program benefits the worker is eligible to receive.
  • To find out the status of a certification or to review companies previously certified under the Trade Act, select Determinations and enter the State on which you wish to obtain information on the US Department of Labor's Trade Adjustment Assistance web site.

Health Coverage Tax Credit

  • Health Coverage Tax Credit Toll free number 866-628-HCTC (4282). This toll free number connects you with the Health Coverage Tax Credit information service. This service was set up to answer your questions concerning your application for a HCTC. They do not have any answers concerning payments or specific claim information. TDD/TTY callers, please call 1-866-626-4292.

    Alternative Trade Adjustment Assistance (ATAA) Wage Supplement

  • The Alternative Trade Adjustment Assistance (ATAA) is an alternative assistance program for older workers certified eligible to apply for Trade Adjustment Assistance. ATAA is designed to allow TAA eligible workers for whom retraining may not be appropriate and who find reemployment, to receive a wage subsidy to help bridge the salary gap between their old and new employment. The program is effective for petitions filed on or after August 6, 2003. A request for certification for the TAA program must be made at the time the petition is filed. Eligible older workers may receive up to half of the difference between their old wage and the new wage. The wage subsidy may be paid up to a maximum of $10,000 during a two-year eligibility period. Workers who begin receiving payments under the ATAA program cannot receive other TAA benefits and services, except for relocation allowances and the Health Coverage Tax Credit (HCTC). If your new job pays $50,000 a year or more, then you are not eligible for ATAA.

Where to Get Help

Adobe Acrobat Reader Symbol Adobe Acrobat Reader format. You can download a free reader from Adobe.

Translation Resources and Disclaimer

New Hampshire Employment Security (NHES)
45 South Fruit Street  |  Concord NH 03301  |  603-224-3311  |  1-800-852-3400
TDD Access: Relay NH 1-800-735-2964
webmaster@nhes.nh.gov for web page related issues only